The First Baptist Church of Merkel, Texas began in 1885. No records are available which indicate the month. The first Pastor was Rev. G.W. Scarborough. His was an itinerant ministry via horseback. Services of the Merkel Church were once each month, on the third Sunday. The church was organized and first met in a private residence located on North Kent Street. There were either 9 or 14 members, depending on the acceptance of one or two records available.
The church was first called the Missionary Baptist Church at Merkel, later known as the Merkel Baptist Church, and also called Merkel Baptist Church of Christ. On March 23, 1921, the church in conference voted to change the name to First Baptist Church, Merkel, Texas.
From 1885 to 1893, the church met in various structures, including the then newly built one room school house. In 1893, a structure was built on the corner of South 2nd and Ash. This endured until 1921, when the church moved to South 3rd and Locust Streets. The church building on that site was a red brick structure with large white columns on the western from. This sanctuary lasted from 1921 to May 5, 1974, on which date a new sanctuary was occupied. This is our current sanctuary. In 1982 the old red brick structure was demolished and a new educational building was constructed in its place. In July 1988, construction of the Family Life Center was completed. A fire destroyed most of the educational building on November 11, 1989. This facility was rebuilt and dedication was held on June 30, 1991. The church has had a total of 33 pastors with one pastor serving twice.